TV 2 is a commercial broadcasting station based in Denmark. Beside traditional broadcasting TV we also run a video streaming service called TV 2 PLAY which serves both video on-demand and TV 2s own live channels.
Based on TV 2 PLAY I will be talking about our journey from REST based APIs to a GraphQL API, our motivation for doing so, and what we have learned.
In the talk I will:
- briefly talk about the history of TV 2 PLAY form monolith to microservices and our motivation for making that decision.
- describe the issues we were facing with a REST API and why it wasn’t a good fit for us. introduce some context by showing how the current architecture of TV 2 PLAY looks today.
- talk about why we chose to change to a GraphQL API, what problems it solves for us and some of the problems we have run into.
- briefly touch on the anatomy of GraphQL vs. REST.
- demo a simple GraphQL application with downstream services and how to query the API.
Speakers for A Journey to GraphQL:
Metadata for A Journey to GraphQLTo be recorded: Yes
URLs for A Journey to GraphQL
Schedule for A Journey to GraphQL
- Friday, Aug 9th, 2019, 17:00 (CEST) - Friday, Aug 9th, 2019, 18:00 (CEST) at Speakers Tent