This is the story of Cable Haunt and how we discovered vulnerabilities in 100 of million of modems world wide. The exploit we will present, allows a remote attacker to gain kernel level control of Broadcom based cable modems, effectively taking full control of big parts of the western world internet connections. Once control has been achieved by an attacker, it can be abused in many ways. Some examples are:
- Conduct remote man-in-the-middle attacks
- Hot-swap code or even the entire firmware silently and persistent
- Disable ISP firmware upgrade
- Change default DNS server for phising
- Change serial numbers
- Be exploited in botnet This will a talk about the technical aspects of Cable Haunt, how it was discovered and how to exploit it using techniques such as buffer overflows and return oriented programming. There will of cause also be a live demo and if you want you can also visit us and hack a modem yourself.
Speakers for What the modem?! How to haunt millions of internet connections:
Metadata for What the modem?! How to haunt millions of internet connectionsTo be recorded: Yes
URLs for What the modem?! How to haunt millions of internet connections
No URLs found.
Schedule for What the modem?! How to haunt millions of internet connections
- Thursday, Aug 13th, 2020, 19:00 (CEST) - Thursday, Aug 13th, 2020, 20:00 (CEST) at Speakers Tent